View on Amazon
A men’s green sweater made out of organic cotton and natural fibers.
Points in favor of this product:
- Made from organic cotton which encourages biodiversity
- Clothing production uses a lot of water, but this company manufactures its products in the North of India where they have reservoirs to collect rainwater from monsoons. This is sufficient for nearly all of their water usage
- The garment making factory is held to various social and sustainability standards and is SA8000 (social accountability audit) and GOTS certified
Points not in favor of this product:
- India is a large and growing contiernhutor to global warming, has done little to curtail pollution from power plants and automobiles burning fossil fuels, has a poor record of environmental conservation and rates poorly on a number of issues SweetScore covers.
- Shipping in container ships with little if any pollution controls generates a large carbon footprint, not created when manufacturing is local.
- Many argue that the outsourcing of manufacturing by UK companies focused on profit over local employment was a major contributor to pro-Brexit sentiment,
Part of the Father's Day Gifts Collection from Haley Catano
Recently I learned that it takes 2,700 liters of water to make one cotton t shirt, which shocked me. Since then I’ve made it my mission to buy second hand as often as possible and definitely only shop for new clothes from companies like this that make efforts to not to harm the planet and take care of their workers.